Check your tax forms


Tax time is here. That means you need to check to make sure you have all the forms you need to file your 2017 tax return. Some of the most common forms include W-2s, 1095s and 1099s. Other commonly used forms are 1098s (used to claim deductions for interest paid) and 1098-Ts (used to deduct educational expenses).

Some forms come out pretty late and delay your ability to file your return. Brokerage Statements are notoriously late and they send versions that are not final. Make sure you wait on the final version before filing. The changes are usually small, but why risk having to amend.

The health insurance Form 1095 is coming out late this year as well for reasons I don’t remember, but again, will delay your return.

Make sure you have everything before you start the filing process. Let your CPA know if you are missing documents so they do not finalize not realizing that your information is not complete.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s